Saturday, May 10, 2008

Happy Mother's Day!



I've decided to take the blogging matter easy. I will post as I feel comfortable. It is certainly not easy to find interesting things about what I do all day. Mostly is taking care of my two princesses. I am as many may say an overdoer on the mothering role. I believe in constant supervision, I mean constant. I wish I was not the anxious kind and be more relaxed but I am working on it. My poor first child was never put on the floor until she was almost 9 months. I was affraid she would slip and bang her precious little head. Her pediatrician had to tell me "She will be fine." But I most say in my favor that, eventhough my heart is constantly jumping, I decided a long time ago to evaluate and observe until they get into a not so safe situations for me to interfere. That I've become good at. My wish of wanting to transmit confidence to my children is greater than my fears.
I want to wish a very Happy Mother's Day to all blogging Moms which I must say inspired me to start my own blog. Also, Feliz Dia, Mama! Te quiero y tus nietas tambien.
I am proud to say I was raised by two wonderful women. My grandmother, Lupita and my mother, Juanita. My grandmother was a lady with strong convictions of what she wanted for her children, specially her daughters. She had 5 daughters and 2 sons. She learned to earn her living since she was five from her mother who was not exactly a loving or kind woman. She was poor and overworked for a good portion of her life. Living in a time,place and class status, where everything would stand against a woman, she managed to provide trades and education to all her children. A natural born economist, she always provided plenty of food,clothes and shelter to all. She worked from home making flour tortillas (the best I've ever tasted), bread, sewing, washing clothes, ironing (yes, coal iron)and anything that could make a decent peso. My mother remembers that my grandmother would often miss school presentations because she did not own a good pair of shoes. Poor and with so many needs but she never sent her daughters to clean other people's homes where they could be abused and molested by the owner. A risk she would not take.
My mother is my other hero. A woman that inherited her mother's strong convictions and honesty. Add to that generosity and servitude and you have a woman with a big open heart. She helped her mother to provide education for her younger siblings from the time she was 15 and started studying to become a teacher. A hard working woman who had her share of struggles thru life but decided to always present a brave face to us, her children.

No comments: